Sandia has access to a full suite of chemistry labs (materials synthesis) and characterization equipment, including:
- tube and box furnaces (up to 1400°C) for solid state synthesis and high temperature treatment;
- thermogravimetric and differential scanning calorimetry analyzers (TGA/DSC) to measure weight gain/loss and thermodynamic properties vs. temperature (e.g., phase change, melting, reduction/oxidation, specific heat);
- x-ray powder diffractometer to determine crystallographic phase changes and sample purity;
- Micromeritics BET for surface area;
- optical (light) microscope; and
- scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersive spectroscopy (SEM/EDS) to determine microstructure and qualitative elemental analysis.
Point of Contact: Andrea Ambrosini