Through the Secure and Sustainable Energy Future Mission Area, Sandia National Laboratories seeks to support the creation of a secure energy future for the US by using its capabilities to enable an uninterrupted and enduring supply of energy from domestic sources, and to assure the reliability and resiliency of the associated energy infrastructure. SNL seeks to create an energy future that is also sustainable by using its capabilities to drive the development and deployment of energy sources that are safer, cleaner, more economical and efficient, and less dependent on scarce natural resources.
Sandia aims to use its capability-based Foundation and strategic partnerships (with other national laboratories, academia, and the private sector) to:
- Assure the country has a secure and sustainable energy supply compatible with national security and economic needs
- Reduce our dependence on foreign oil
- Increase security and resilience of energy infrastructure
- Bolster US competitiveness
- Minimize the impact of energy production and use on the environment
- Develop and deploy low carbon energy technologies that drive down carbon based emissions
- Quantify uncertainty and enable adaptation to climate change impacts
- Strengthen the Energy and Climate’s science, engineering and technology base
- In Stationary Power and Transportation Energy, we work to address specific challenges in energy production, supply, distribution, and use.
- Stationary Power focus areas include safety, security, and resilience of energy infrastructure and assets, high-efficiency conversion of low and zero-carbon energy sources to electricity, and the back end of the nuclear fuel cycle
- Transportation Energy focus areas include predictive simulation of engines, co-evolution of biofuels and powertrains, enabling a hydrogen infrastructure, and safe and reliable energy storage components and systems
- In Climate and Earth Systems, we address challenges associated with the understanding and predictability of climate evolution; reducing the amount of energy required to produce/transport safe supplies of water; reducing impact of energy production on scarce water resources, and developing/producing subsurface energy sources with reduced environmental impact.
- Climate and Earth System focus areas are climate measurement and modeling, the water/energy nexus, and sustainable subsurface energy development