A rotor fixation stand being prepared for concrete.
Rotor fixation stands, one for each Scaled Wind Farm Technology (SWiFT) facility turbine, have been built. The stands will be used to mount the wind-turbine rotors on the ground before and after rotor-lifting activities. Further, the stands
- provide a foundation for assembling rotors and working on instrumentation just before lifting (an indoor assembly facility on site is available for larger scopes of work);
- provide a sturdy base for securing the rotor at ground level in case of high winds during extended preparation periods;
- allow the blades to be pitched to feather without the blades making contact with the ground or the stand itself;
- allow structural verification of the rotor, i.e., vibration modes; and
- provide additional safety during rotor lifting and lowering.
The stands were cured and ready for use in December.