Rotor fixation stands, one for each Scaled Wind Farm Technology (SWiFT) facility turbine, have been built. The stands will be used to mount the wind-turbine rotors on the ground before and after rotor-lifting activities. Further, the stands
- provide a foundation for assembling rotors and working on instrumentation just before lifting (an indoor assembly facility on site is available for larger scopes of work);
- provide a sturdy base for securing the rotor at ground level in case of high winds during extended preparation periods;
- allow the blades to be pitched to feather without the blades making contact with the ground or the stand itself;
- allow structural verification of the rotor, i.e., vibration modes; and
- provide additional safety during rotor lifting and lowering.
The stands were cured and ready for use in December.